1 concerning each of two or more persons or things; especially given or done in return; "reciprocal aid"; "reciprocal trade"; "mutual respect"; "reciprocal privileges at other clubs" [syn: mutual] [ant: nonreciprocal]
2 of or relating to or suggestive of complementation; "interchangeable electric outlets" [syn: complementary, interchangeable]
3 of or relating to the multiplicative inverse of a quantity or function; "the reciprocal ratio of a:b is b:a"
1 something (a term or expression or concept) that has a reciprocal relation to something else; "risk is the reciprocal of safety"
2 (mathematics) one of a pair of numbers whose product is
1 the reciprocal of 2/3 is 3/2; the multiplicative inverse of 7 is 1/7 [syn: multiplicative inverse]
3 hybridization involving a pair of crosses that reverse the sexes associated with each genotype [syn: reciprocal cross]
- Of an action, feeling, etc, done, felt, etc, by each of two people to, on or towards the other.
- In the contrary or opposite way, order, or direction
done by each of two people towards the other
in the contrary or opposite way
- (in arithmetic): multiplicative inverse
Reciprocal may refer to:
- Multiplicative inverse, in mathematics, the number 1/x, which multiplied by x gives the product 1, also known as a reciprocal
- Reciprocal rule, a technique in calculus for calculating derivatives of reciprocal functions
- Reciprocal lattice, a basis for the dual space of covectors, in crystallography
- Reciprocal (grammar), a relationship between grammatical agents
- Reciprocal determinism, a theory in psychology
- Reciprocal altruism, a form of symbiotic relationship in evolutionary biology
- Reciprocal cross, a breeding experiment in genetics
- Hybrid (biology), in genetics, the result of reciprocal crossing, also known as a reciprocal hybrid
algorismic, algorithmic, aliquot, ally, alter ego, alternate, analogon, analogous, analogue, answering, associate, associated, back-and-forth, beating, brother, cardinal, changeable, circling, close copy, close match, coacting, coactive, coadjutant, coadjuvant, coefficient, coequal, cognate, collaborative, collective, collectivist, collectivistic, collusive, combined, commensal, common, communal, communalist, communalistic, communist, communistic, communitarian, commutable, commutative, commutual, companion, compensatory, complement, complemental, complementary, concerted, concordant, concurrent, concurring, congenator, congener, conjoint, conniving, convertible, cooperant, cooperating, cooperative, coordinate, correlate, correlative, correspondent, corresponding, counterpart, cyclic, decimal, differential, digital, double, duplicate, ecumenic, epochal, equal, equalizing, equipollent, equivalent, even, every other, exchanged, exponential, fellow, figural, figurate, figurative, finite, fractional, general, give-and-take, harmonious, harmonized, homologous, image, imaginary, impair, impossible, in common, infinite, integral, interchangeable, interchanged, intermittent, irrational, isochronal, joint, kindred spirit, like, likeness, logarithmic, logometric, match, mate, measured, metronomic, mutual, near duplicate, negative, noncompetitive, numeral, numerary, numerative, numeric, obverse, odd, ordinal, oscillatory, pair, parallel, pendant, periodical, permutable, picture, popular, positive, possible, prime, public, pulsing, punitive, radical, rational, real, reciprocating, reciprocative, recompensing, recompensive, recurrent, recurring, reparative, restitutive, retaliative, retaliatory, retributive, retributory, returnable, rhythmic, rotary, seasonal, second self, seesaw, serial, shared, similitude, simulacrum, sine wave, sister, social, socialistic, societal, soul mate, standard, steady, submultiple, such, suchlike, surd, swapped, switched, symbiotic, synergetic, synergic, synergistic, tally, tantamount, the like of, the likes of, to-and-fro, traded, transcendental, transposed, twin, uncompetitive, undulant, undulatory, up-and-down, wavelike, wheeling